Saturday, July 10, 2021

My Garden After Torrential Rains

The great thing about raised beds is they can take a lot of rain without drowning your plants.  After 3 1/2 inches of rain in 2 days, my bed is doing fine.
No puddles in my bed.  All the crops are doing well.  

Lower left shows a few bits of Tatsoi greenery coming up after 3 days.  And to their right is my Tokyo bekana doing well.  These are greens I've never had before but if they taste OK, I will serve them in future salads.  You can notice the dark soil to their right where I sowed Hercules carrot seeds.  Still no sign of them after 5 days.  I will continue to be patient.

In this upper left corner I sowed Salad burnet seeds on both June 1st and June 21st.  There is a bit of green showing.  Maybe its burnet.  I hope so.

I will give my garden a few days of rest and then check into maybe sowing more carrot seeds around the tomato plants.  My radishes are doing fine.  I have a new brand I received today so I may sow a few of those radishes this week as well.  My needs are simple and I do not need lots of anything at any one time.  My bed has lots of different crops in it.  I hope to enjoy some variety this year.

Next year I will add squash and zucchini to my plot which I could not do this year since I was not even sure if we would get our beds at all.  Also some larger determinate tomato plants.  I stuck to patio size this time in case I had to plant them in plots if no raised beds developed.  I am pleased with those patio-size plants since they are all putting out lots of blossoms and the Lizzanos are growing new itty bitty fruits.  The good news is new plans are on the books for another year.
Enjoy your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment