Monday, July 5, 2021

My Little Patch of Garden Space in July.

This year is the first year for having a garden patch of my own.  They were late getting them built so I was late getting my crops in.  Still, I am enjoying the experience.



My bed on the left is home to my 3 Mini-Red Bell Pepper plants.  They look healthy.  At the top are my 3 Bush Pickle Cucumber plants planted around a cage.  They will not get too large.  I just sowed 2 short 1 1/2 foot rows of Hercule Carrots which are under straw which covers the cardboard I have placed over the seeds til they germinate.
Between the carrots and the cukes, I have a row of arugula and above them a row of Nasturtiums.  Nasturtiums are edible but they also bring pollinators to the garden, so 2 reasons to grow them.

This is the center section of my bed. In front I have some lettuces like Thom Thumb to the left and top of my summer Thyme.  On the right of the thyme are some red Alkindus and green Starfighter lettuces just coming thru.  Above the lettuces are the row of arugula, then a row of Nasturtiums and at the very top are my two Lizzano tomato plants, very full of blossoms.  Lizzano is a semi-determinate plant and will not grow very large and will give me some 1" red tomatoes for a rather long harvest.


On the right side of my bed you can find l. to r. more Alkindus lettuce, then the serrated leaves of Russian Kale.  On the far right are my 2 small Red Robin tomatoes.  They only grow about 8" to 12" tall and give clusters of 1-1 1/2" red tomatoes.  Lots of blossoms on those two plants right now.  Between the Red Robins are 2 short rows of Cherry Belle radishes growing quite well.  In the top right hand side of the bed are two Stevia plants.
So far most are doing well.  I seem to have a problem with my lemon yellow Marigold in the bottom right corner of the bed.  Nothing has germinated and I planted seed twice.  
All in all I am quite please with the results of this year's raised bed and hope to be eating fresh veggies very soon.
Enjoy your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment