Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Next Up, A Mermaid

 I am thinking mermaid.  Yup, I drew a mermaid when I found this adorable fish fabric in my stash.  I thought I would place her among the denizens of the deep.

Here's the drawing pinned to the backside of the fish fabric.

Here are the fabrics I plan to use.  I'm thinking the skin of the mermaid should be a silky blue.  

Its a lovely day here in Maine today.  Temps are in the low 60sF all day and the nights drop into the low 30s as a rule right now.  Its pretty darn spring-like.  But I won't be fooled.  In my area we can't put out vegetable plants until after Memorial Day except for the cool-hardy ones that can stand a little frost now and then; like broccoli, lettuce, kale, cabbage, cauliflower.  The warm veggies like tomatoes and peppers have to wait to be transplanted around June 6-10th to be safe.

Our building is thinking of putting in some raised beds for the residents which I applaud.  I would love to have one where I can grow my own veggies.  I miss having a garden. 
In the opening photo of my main page you can see the present raised beds down by the wheelbarrow in our back garden here but we, the residents can't use them.  They are planned by our resident gardener.  She does a great job, but I would love to have a plot of my own for some mini-tomatoes and a cucumber plant along with some lettuce, radishes, parsley, and thyme to tempt my salad-making efforts.
 
Since they are taking names I went ahead and ordered some mini-tomato plants from Territorial Seed in Oregon.  I have ordered from them before and been very happy.  They send the right plants and they are healthy upon arrival.  I had to do that the first year I had my own garden since my raised beds at home were not built in time for early spring.  It worked out fine.  After that year I started all my own seeds and plants under lights and loved doing it.

Here is a close-up of those same raised beds along with my precious Corgi, Penny who went to Doggy Heaven December 2018.  I still miss her.

I am already planning ahead since I know that there are more folks out there ordering seed this year because of the isolation and difficulty in getting fresh food.  My order is in with the seeds already here and the transplants scheduled to arrive the end of May.  If we here cannot have our own raised bed as suggested, I will donate my seeds and plants to my daughter who has room for a nice garden at her house.

I can only hope for the best.   Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment