Thursday, October 15, 2020

A Halloween Door Hanging Idea Takes Shape

 I actually had this idea last year and made a rough drawing.  I thought it would work well on my door for this Halloween so I took it out of hiding and am working on it.  Its a combination of things I love......Ghosts, Pumpkins, and Birch Trees. 

I call it "Yikes, Its A Pumpkin!" where the ghost is frightened when he sees a pumpkin and jumps into a birch tree, hanging on for all he's worth.

Here's the sketch.

Here's the start with the birch trees against the background fabrics.

This is known as Replique.   Its sewing with an upside down method of applique.  You draw the picture, place your backing right side up on the backside of the drawing and sew down the pieces with a close stitch.  Then you will satin-stitch all the items you've added over those first sewing lines.

There's not much time until Halloween this year so I need to work on it daily until its finished.  I really enjoy working in Replique as you can see from these photos of other projects I've done in the past......
The blue butterfly I made in 2017.

I made this for Easter in 2018.

and this one I made for Xmas for 2017. 

This was my first Replique project in 2015 and it won a blue ribbon in the applique section in Texas.  From that moment on I have loved the method.  Oh, not because of the blue ribbon, but because it was such fun to do.

Yes, its a fun way to make wall hangings and door hangings.  I love the outlining in black satin stitching which makes the subjects stand out.

I am enjoying this project.  I hope to have it done by the beginning on next week.
Hugs to all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment