Thursday, May 4, 2023

My 2023 Veggie Garden Ideas

Its that time again.  Gardening is in my future.  I have a raised 4' by 8' garden bed which is calling me.

Today I ordered garden soil mix and veggie and herb plants.  I was nicely surprised that our local Home Depot delivers.  I was wondering with whom I could make plans for chauffeuring me to get plants.  Now that concern is behind me.

The soil mix is expected today but the plants themselves not until the 12th.  That's just fine since these plants are usually transplanted outdoors no earlier than Memorial Day.  Its been a very warm spring so far here is southwestern Maine without any frosts for days.  I think I may be able to transplant my tomatoes and some others before then.  As long as I watch out for any sneaky frosts and being prepared with covers for said plants.

This is my plot.  I have been weeding it out but at this point I could not get all the mess cleared.  In the darker wet areas along side of the bed I sowed some radishes and lettuce.  I also sowed some Little Finger carrot seed along the top edge which is out of the frame.
Today I cleared out all the rest of the weeds and sowed some red Alkindus lettuce seeds along the bottom edge.
I was amazed that my onion chives survived the winter in their upper right-hand corner out of the frame.
I will try to get better pix this week after all the rain we have scheduled this week.

I am hoping for an abundance of tomatoes, peppers, cukes, parsley, and thyme along with the tucked-in crops of radishes, lettuce, and carrots along the outside edges of the bed.

I hope you have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment